The workshop portion is being replaced by this collection of videos from the 2018 and 2019 workshops, to facilitate more 1-on-1 meetings with program directors.
Note: each participant had been assigned preliminary work before the workshop: 1) read the NSF CAREER solicitation, 2) the NSF CAREER FAQ, and 3) view a narrated CISE-specific powerpoint (note: the slides have been updated, but the narration is from a prior year and will in some places not match the slides.) You can skim these far more efficiently than we can present them; you’ll want to take notes of questions that arise as you do so.
Advice on proposal preparation and Q&A: You may find several of your questions answered in the videos from Q&A sessions in 2018 & 2019, either with program directors or with a panel of PIs who have received CAREER awards from different divisions across CISE. I always enjoy the presentations of these successful applicants, since they describe their writing processes and what they learned from what is often more than one attempt.
Welcome from CISE AD, Margaret Martonosi:
(narrated powerpoint) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h4JkZdFCyM9403WafKwxlr0IsJjujz1u/view?usp=sharing
We have one 2020 Career awardee video from Loris D’Antoni about his proposal writing experiences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og0CY8aFRRU&list=PL1PFE7gR67YksKdqELd4QY1u8Y04e-dvK
The 2018 workshop videos are on this youtube playlist to make them easy to view: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1PFE7gR67YlZATMsX3348MnFomYTZmpV
- Q/A session with program directors
- Marine Carpuat talks about writing her proposal on Natural Language Processing
- Salim El Rouayheb talks about writing his proposal on Information Theory and Privacy
- Trilce Estrada talks about writing her proposal on InSitu Data Analysis tools for science and medicine
- George Porter talks about writing his proposal on Data Center Networks
- Q/A session after the four talks by CAREER awardees
- Darlene Fisher’s presentation at the program director panel
- Phil Regalia’s top 10 mistakes presentation, Almadena Chtchelkanova’s challenge, and Q/A at the program director panel wrapping up the plenary session
The 2019 workshop videos are at: http://www.tvworldwide.com/events/nsf/190408/ This site will make you enter your email to register before you can access the content.
Overview of NSF CISE and CAREER program with Q&A;
Ehsan Hoque, University of Rochester (IIS) and Glencora Borradaile, Oregon State University (CCF);
Lucy Dunne, University of Minnesota (CNS) and
Johannes Hachmann, University at Buffalo (OAC);
Q&A With Career Awardees;
Program Director Panel Discussion
- new CAREER submission option this year: Foundational Research in Robotics (Robotics) This is a joint program of two divisions in ENG and three divisions in CISE. It is offering CAREER awards. Some former programs that accept robotics CAREER proposals (e.g. RI) will be transferring proposals to this program instead. Click for FRRobotics slide
Monday, Tuesday, Weds, April 6-8, 2020
|8:00 – 3:00||Individual meetings with Program Directors
Emails sent to applicants on Thursday, Apr 2 for signups. Confirmation on Sunday, Apr 5.
The event will be a Zoom teleconference; link to be added. All times are Eastern Daylight Time (UTC+4).
Monday, April 6, 2020
|CCF – AF||Tracy Kimbrel, Maurice Rojas, Funda Ergun||TBD|
|CCF – Software||Sol Greenspan, Nina Amla||TBD|
|CCF – Hardware/Neuro/Nano||Sankar Basu, Yuanyuan Yang||TBD|
|CCF – CIF||Phil Regalia, Armand Makowski, Scott Acton||TBD|
|CCF – FET – bio/comp||Mitra Basu||TBD|
|CCF – FET – quantum||Bogdan Mihaila||TBD|
|SaTC||Indrajit Ray, James Joshi, Nina Amla||TBD|
|CNS – NeTS||Darleen Fisher, Deep Medhi, Alex Sprintson, Ann Von Lehmen||TBD|
|CNS – CSR||Mimi McClure, Matt Mutka, Erik Brunvand||TBD|
|CNS – EWF||Fay Cobb Payton, Allyson Kennedy||TBD|
|CPS||Sandip Roy, David Corman, Michal Ziv-El||TBD|
|IIS – CHS||Todd Leen, Balakrishnan Prabhakaran||TBD|
|IIS – III/Bigdata||Sylvia Spengler, Wei-Shinn Ku||TBD|
|IIS – RI||Jim Donlon, Erion Plaku||TBD|
|OAC||Alan Sussman, Stefan Robila||TBD|